Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bad Mommy

I follow a blog called "Good Mommy/Bad Mommy" and this past Thursday I realized I was a "Bad Mommy". Here's what happened...

As I was helping the scouts get ready for their Blue & Gold dinner, I was asked to bring the ice. So I found a round, plastic toy bin to hold the ice and water. I went to the store and bought six 7lb. bags of ice. When I pulled up to the church I didn't see anyone who could help me bring the ice in. I thought to myself, "it isn't that far from the car to the door and I am only 6 months pregnant, I can carry this, no big deal". Well that was my mistake. Trying to balance 42 lbs of ice in a large plastic toy bin on my belly was probably not the smartest thing I have ever done. After carrying the ice in I was short on breath and had cramps for most of the night. The baby is fine as I feel her (or him) moving a lot; and other than the discomfort, I feel O.K.

As I sat there kicking myself for doing such a stupid thing, I realized two things. First I am a "Bad Mommy" for not listening to all those pregnancy books, doctors and especially my husband when they tell you not to lift heavy objects while you are pregnant. Second, I am not as young as I think I am. I used to be this young 20 something who could do anything while pregnant... now I am a 35 years old whose body is saying "you are too old for this". It's hard to face the reality of getting old. Some people say age is just a number, after Thursday night I might have to disagree.

Hopefully I can do better and be a "Good Mommy"

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I so know what your feeling! I use to do that all the time! Thinking it was no big deal and I could handle it.....not so much! I hope you are okay. Take it easy and use that strapping husband of yours for any lifting! Miss you guys! I can't wait to find out what you are having!!

John Ivie said...

Well, I guess I am a bad friend because I didn't even know you were pregnant. Congratulations!! Be better to yourself mommy!

Karla said...

So I am not saying you are a "bad mommy"... but man Amy that was pretty dumb! Take it easy there lady and next time you better just ask someone to help you lift. I can't wait to see the baby too, but not this early. :)

BTW your mom and dad came by this morninng... :) It was so good to finally meet your parents! They are great. Thanks so much for the darling little dress and onesies! I love 'em.

Janell said...

I still think you are a good mommy!

AngeeBee said...

HOLY COW! Pregnant! OK... so, I haven't kept up with the blog... but wow! CONGRATULATIONS!

I send my love and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you TONS and TONS!

Unknown said...

I still think you are a "good mommy" too. and you are aging well.